If you're a parent, one of your top priorities is making sure your kids are well-mannered and know how to behave in various social situations. Teaching them about etiquette is an important part of this process, especially if they're young girls who will be present in upcoming big events like weddings. In this blog post, we'll discuss the basics of flower girl dress etiquette that each one should know. Let's get started!
Why Teach Them Now
It's important to teach your kids about dress etiquette because they'll likely face social situations more and more as they get older. When everyone is following the same dress code, it makes it easier for people to know how to behave. This is especially important in formal settings, such as weddings or business meetings. It helps to create a sense of order and professionalism in social situations.
Flower Girl Basics
When it comes to dress etiquette for a flower girl, there are some basic rules you should follow.
- The dress should be simple and modest. It's important for the flower girl to look elegant and understated, not flashy nor over-the-top.
- Avoid short skirts and tightfitting dresses. The flower girl dress should be comfortable and flowy, allowing her to move around easily.
- Get a dress that matches the event's color scheme as closely as possible.
- The dress should be appropriate for the season. If it's a summer wedding, avoid long sleeves and heavy fabrics. Likewise, if it's a winter wedding, your flower girl dress should have some sort of outer layer to keep her warm.
Choosing for Body Shape
No matter what dress etiquette rules you choose to follow, it's important that the dress flatters your daughter's body shape.
- If your daughter is pear-shaped, she could wear a dress with a waistline that cinches in at the narrowest part of her torso. This will help to flatter her figure.
- If your daughter is apple-shaped, she could wear a dress that falls straight from the shoulder and doesn't hug her curves too tightly. This will help to disguise her thicker waistline.
- If your daughter is rectangle-shaped, she can wear just about anything, as long as the dress isn't too clingy or baggy. A dress with some embellishments or a neckline that draws attention to her upper body would also be a good option.
The Right Dress for Different Occasions
In addition to dress etiquette, it's important to teach your kids about dress code. Dress codes are used in different settings and should be followed closely by everyone involved. Here are a few general tips:
- For formal occasions such as pageants or galas, stick to longer-style dresses that are either plain or have simple designs.
- For semi-formal occasions such as birthday parties or job interviews, cocktail dress up clothes are a good choice.
- For informal occasions such as picnics, sundresses or dress pants are appropriate.
- For formal meetings, go with dress pants or dress shirts. If it's a casual meeting, jeans and t-shirts will do just fine as long as they're clean and wrinkle-free!
Picking the Fabrics and Colors
When choosing dress fabrics for flower girl dress etiquette, it's important that you don't choose something too heavy or light. Heavy fabrics like velvet can be uncomfortable on hot days and prone to wrinkling when stored in the closet for long periods of time. Light fabrics like cotton are easy to care for and don't wrinkle easily, but they're also prone to bunching up or sagging around the waistline eventually.
Try sticking with medium-weight dress fabrics such as polyester blends if you want something that's both durable and comfortable.
In terms of dress colors, it's best to stick with neutral colors like black or white. These colors can be dressed up or down, and they're always in style. Bright colors are also fun to wear, but make sure they're appropriate for the occasion.
Now that you know how to dress your daughter in the most appropriate dress, it's time to start shopping!